Tuesday, September 20, 2011

TSA and Paris Indifference

I know it is just too easy to criticize security at the airport, but who the heck wrote the TSA operations manual?  Michael Scott?  There were two lines at CVG heading to the scanners.  One was a regular line and one was a "priority line".  We were in the priority line because we have a Delta Credit card.  Woo hoo. The only priority I get in life and I'm going to take it.  Our line was parallel with the "little people" line and I was feeling mighty superior.  But wait, what is this?  There was only ONE AGENT (hightly trained, no doubt) for both lines to check tickets and scrutinize passports under their little magic light.  I watched him look at the passport, looked at the passenger, then look at the passport again. (It reminded me of being taught how to cross the street when I was six.  Left, right, left again.)  Well, Americans being the generally polite people that they are alternated with the first person in each line so that the "priority" passengers could feel good about their treatment of the little people.  The little people had a look of awe and respect.  While we all headed for the scanners, we noticed that the dreaded body scanner was being used for each passenger which of course slowed the entire process.  Well, OK.  I'll give up a little more privacy in the name of keeping our country safe.  Almost my turn when I notice that TSA has opened a new scanner and is pulling over the little people that have not yet merged.  They are sure moving through security quickly.  Why?  No body scanning happening there.  After my scan, in which they actually say "hands above your head, don't move", I just had to know.  I asked the TSA agent first and then asked some official looking supervisor agent that sat at a high desk overlooking the scene why everybody in one line was being scanned and nobody in the other line.  I mean, it only made sense to me that if it was important enought to do it, it must be important enough to be consistent about it.  Their reason was that they didn't have enough available agents to run the other body scanner.  So, you mean half the people are being scanned?  No, it's random.  Not really, since all in one line are being scanned and and none in the other line.  Somehow it made sense to TSA (who looked at me like I should go in for some water-boarding so I gave up.  I just asked if I could have a seat in the plane that only contained passengers who had body scans.


If at all possible, never make a connection in Paris DeGaulle airport.  When we went to get our boarding pass for our connecting flight to Munich from Air France (about two hours from flight time), they discovered we were not on their passenger list.  The fact that we had a confirmation number and a sort-of boarding pass given to us in Cincinnati for Munich did not help at all.  They told us to go to the Delta desk to get it figured out.  Just a short 10-15 minute walk.  They actually said that.  After a good 15 minutes (the French must be very fast walkers), the Delta agent apologized and said it could have been resolved if they had just called.  The agent "fixed" it and we drug our carry-on back for another brisk 15 minute walk.  Air France agents tell us they still can not find us in the computer, and join in groups of three around the computer, make phone calls, switching out agents periodically so there are never the same three agents, and always confiring in French.  Of course, they never look at us or tell us what is happening.  And when we ask they hold up a wait finger like we are interupting the signing of the Treaty of Versaille.  The two hours we had to make our connection was rapidly dwindling.  After what must have been harder than brain surgery, they get our names on the list only to tell us that the doors of the plane have just closed we will have to go on a later flight.  Not just a little later flight -- a 5 1/2 hour later flight.  That's OK, we'd only flown for 9 hours and hung around an airport for 2 1/2 hours.  Didn't they know I belonged in the PRIORITY LINE????

1 comment: