Saturday, September 24, 2011

Bikes and Bratwurst

A few days later and it's already hard to remember what we did on Wednesday.  I think it was Wednesday?

We decided to go on a bike tour of Munich.  Mike's Bikes was just around the corner and the guys that ran the business all spoke English and wanted everybody to have a good time.  They also told me they had never lost a rider.  All these qualifications were good enough for me.  While we were waiting for our tour time we checked out the famous glockenspeil and managed to be there at one of the three daily chime times.  The king and queen watched the court entertainment while dancers twirled.  Just like you would imagine.





Once it was bike time, I got off to a more wobbly start than I normally would after a year off two-wheelers because I had a cool touring bike with wide handlebars which felt like I was steering a chopper.  We followed the leader stopping at various points of interest 1) the plaza where Hitler was almost shot early in his "career", 2) a beautiful church with more plasterwork than I've ever seen, 3) a park that had a few very out-of-place naked male sunbathers, 4) a fun beer garden where they ran out of the chicken Ernie was eyeing just before he ordered, and various other historical spots.  Other than almost veering into a serious rider coming in the opposit direction, all was well.



Plaza
 
  
Church
 
Chubby Naked Guys
 



After the ride we all came back and had a little rest.  I continued to have a little rest while Ernie, Nick and Chris went back to Oktoberfest.  One crowded night was enough for me so I stayed behind and tried to watch BBC news because that was the only program in English.  I actually ventured to the little market to get something for dinner.  After about 30 minutes in the store I was able to understand enough labels to come home with a can of tomato soup, a yogurt, and of course a candy bar (which needs no translation).  I was so proud of myself.  The guys came home after having had a great time.  They actually were able to sit at a great table and were joined by a couple of other men that were good company. 
I think they got the sense of the camaraderie behind the beer garden concept.  It is a community atmosphere with all ages coming together and celebrating their heritage.  I know my guys had fun because Ernie came home wearing a Tyrolean hat, feather and all.


1 comment: