Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Whew

We made it. Uneventful trip.  Just the usual things to whine about - terrible food, terrible movies, no leg  room.  I didn't get the blood clot I always fear.  (do not cross legs, do not cross legs, do not cross legs is sill repeating in my head)

Do the Filippinis take a taxi from the airport?  NO!  We travel like the locals and take the train and walk.  They have a big advantage -- they actually know where they are going.  We did pretty good getting the train.  Interesting watching the people who actually have less manners than Americans riding public transport.  We watched a guy refuse to budge when a woman pushing a stroller tried to get on and he wouldn't stand up from his seat by the door to give her enough room to pass through.  He did complain (didn't understand the words but the facial expressions were universal) when she bumped his  foot and he finally got up in a huff and moved to another seat.  Our big problem was leaving the train station thru the ticket "turnstyle."  The door closed on Ernie's bag and as he tried to yank it thru he broke his pull handle.  New bag of course.  Mine just plain wouldn't fit and I pulled like a miracle might happen until I realized I had to turn it sideways.  I don't want to review the security cameras on that ungraceful exit.  I actually asked for the location of our street in French and got an answer I could understand.  Well, it was mostly pointing -- but I got it.  Pulling a 50 lb bag on cobblestone for a few blocks is no easy feat.  I got a very dirty look from Ernie when I snickered at his handle pulling right out of his bag and leaving two wire arms like poor burned out Touchdown Jesus (cinci reference).  I tried (but failed) to not mention that a taxi would have been cheaper than a new suitcase.

The apartment is very small, but nice.  Fisheye pictures are always a bit deceiving.  Clean.  Stairs up to the 2nd floor are tiny, circular, doll-house steps.  Thank you, God, for giving men the responsibility of carrying heavy bags up stairs.  We look out on a busy pedestrian street (no cars) with shops and restaurants.  The landlady met us here and gave us the low down on the area.  All safe, but watch out for theft walking to the left of the building.  After she left, we both had a 3 hr nap with me dreaming of urchins and gypsies stealing my possessions. Tipper Gore was in it too but I don't remember the connection.

Off to dinner.  I hope I don't accidently order rabbit or tripe.

Maryl

No comments:

Post a Comment