Friday, September 10, 2010

no worries

Back on wireless after 24 hours of disconnect.  We felt helpless without it.  It's been a day of equipment failures.  My fairly new camera died.  Ernie's camera developed (ha!) schizophrenia -- works sometimes then totally loses the pictures we took.  He pulled the tri-pod out of his backpack and parts flew everywhere never to be found.  I will go to great lengths to prevent pictures of me being taken -- but even I won't go that far. 

We did the tourist hop on-hop off bus yesterday and today.  It's a good way to get an overview of the city and decide what we want put on our schedule for a longer visit.  Plus you can sleep when you get tired.

I've been trying to use my French with mixed results.  I tried to ask for cream for coffee at the little market.  The guy looked at me and said in perfect English - "I don't have any idea what you are saying".  That was a little discouraging!  Yesterday we went to, well, we went to Starbucks OK??  I asked for a certain type of donut.  I got a donut all right, but not the type I wanted.  I ate it anyway.  Today I tried to order a sandwhich.  I ended up with a donut.  What is it with the donuts??  I just couldn't settle for a donut when I wanted a sandwich.  This time I gestured to get what I wanted.  Once again, I got that look.  The last time I tried I was ordering a crepe with Nutella and Grand Marnier (yes, it was as good as it sounds).  I was understood and had a friendly reaction.  It's hit and miss.  Ernie says I need to speak with more authority.  Nothing like being wrong with authority.

He needs to write but hasn't taken up the gauntlet.  Soon, I hope.  (btw - gauntlet is a French word.  Maybe I can work it into a converation)

1 comment: