Saturday, September 18, 2010

welcome to the Train California

Look at the naive people

Trying to figure it all out
 The past three days have been full of more of the same -- but it's all stuff we love.  Thursday we took the train to Versailles.  Well, eventually we took the train to Versailles.   After carefully investigating which train to take, we hopped on, got good seats and were enjoying the ride.  It was especially fun when the train emptied at a stop and we had the whole car to ourselves when it continued.  We fooled around and took some pictures.  We joked about it being the Train California - you can get on but never get off.  It went on a little farther then stopped at a station, where we heard sound of the engine shutting down, the exhale of the brakes releasing, and then SILENCE.  We looked back and forward at the other cars and realized we were the only passengers on a now out of service train.  We tried the doors and they wouldn't open. We got the door open on the tracks side (the dangerous side).  We were thinking we'd have to make a run for it, but I was able to find a door I could push open on the platform side.  We got out with our now useless tickets and had no idea what to do..  An angel appeared in the form of a very tall man from Detroit who had been living in Paris for the past several years.  He took care of us and we finally got the train that was going ALL the way to Versailles.  All was well until it was time to ride back and our tickets weren't accepted again.  We kept trying until we realized we hadn't bought round trip tickets.  I wonder how many times we'll have a bad train experience before we really get it.

Versailles was more gilt-covered and extravagant than I had imagined.  Louis XIV must have had an ego the size of France.  Each room had at least one prominent portrait or sculpture of him as the focal point.  He believed in leaving no wall space unadorned.  Brocade, art and embellishments were everywhere.  There is no furniture since the palace was looted during the revolution (understandably so, considering what the average Parisian's life was like compared to the life of the royalty).  The gardens are miles of manicured, carefully layed-out ponds, fountains, lawns, flowers.  Marie-Antoinette longed for the country life -- a faux country life. She had a "farm" created for her with perfumed sheep and vegetables tended by servants so she could put on her country frock and pick them when they were ripe.

Yesterday started out as a lazy day.  My feet were really hurting during and after walking on bumpy coblestones all day at Versailles.  My feet have been spreading the past few years like brie on a hot sidewalk.  I thought I had it covered with the shoes I brought with me, but things were getting bad.  I stuck on my flip flops (the only thing that wouldn't touch my blistered baby toe) and  went to the monster mall (train station and metro inside) all by myself.  I was proud that I was able to buy 2 pairs of shoes at two different stores and find my way back home.  Shopping was funny.  My mind went blank on the French I've learned and I basically stood there like a mute and pointed and gestured.  All I could think of is zapatas and muy grande. 

I bandaged up my toe, stuck on my ugly but comfortable new shoes that are very unFrench (actually they are Columbia) and Ernie and I went out to explore inside Notre Dame.  Awesome.  We walked around Isle St. Louis, then walked across the bridge and discovered an open air market.  We came home with chocolate, wine and a wonderful sweet bread.  On with more exploring in the Pont Neuf area and some excellent gazpacho. Feet were good!

Today was our Montmarte day.  Took the metro and walked up the hill to Sacre Coeur.  Lots of stairs - we opted not to take the Funiculaire.  It was a challenge -- I found a muscle I hadn't yet strained.  The church was impressive, with several domes.  Inside the church the largest was covered with a huge, detailed mosaic.  More statues.  And a great view of the city below. We walked from there into the village of Montmarte which had a totally different feel from the city below.  Wandering the winding streets was a great way to spend a sunny afternoon.  I hesitate to say that we strolled through another cemetary.   

Sacre Coeur


After we walked down the hill, we took the metro to my favorite bridge.  The prettiest one in Paris.  Ernie set up his tri-pod on the bridge so he could take pictures of us together.  People would walk by curious about the photo session taking place.  You should have seen the disappointment on their faces when they saw the photo subjects.  Crossing the bridge, we continued to the Champs Elysees and swam through the Saturday crowds.  We had a yearning for McDonalds.  #6 combo, supersized.  It was the most packed restaurant we've seen! 

If you are still reading, you're now up-to-date.  Three more days until we leave for Rome so we need to get in the last few places we'd like to see.  We're winding down a bit.  I think I hit the pillow about 9 pm last night.  That's my idea of Friday night in gay Paris.

Maryl

5 comments:

  1. At least you didn't lose your passport like another Filippini I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take it back, I take it back. Ps I have 2 passports in case you know anyone who's interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey...I have a valid passport. I just don't go anywhere.

    ReplyDelete